Wednesday 13 November 2013

Review : Little Reader's Nook

I spoke to Devaki over phone after I saw the post about Reading Books Kit Subscription Box in facebook. I was very impressed with the idea of picking best books for a theme and send to customers. I thought of giving a try by keeping following things in the mind:
  • I don't have to read reviews to find out which book will be good for Medha and 
  • No shopping stress
  • I can get tips to raise Medha as a good reader 
  • Books are as per a new Theme every month 
  • Age appropriate books
  • Vocabulary tips 


I subscribed to little reader's nook read aloudpprogram which is mainly targeted for kids of age 2-6 years.

Devaki, the founder of Little Reader's Nook, informed me about the theme for November month box. It is "Special You and Special Me". Devaki sent me the list of the titles they have selected to send for that theme and month. By seeing the titles I understood that she wanted to spread the message as " we are all diverse. But difficult to talk about diveristy in people with such young kids. So using the example of colours in nature, animals etc. " It was clear for me as I read "I'm so sleepy" book already to her which focuses on how each animal is different and the way it sleeps.

They provide an option to opt-out for the month in case if you haven't liked the theme or the titles they have picked or if you have those books already with you.

I received the November month Kit on 2nd of November. It was a neatly wrapped packet and has
  • 3 Children’s age appropriate books on a Theme
  • Suggestions for Further Reading
  • Reading & Vocabulary Tips for each book in the Kit
  • Activity Ideas on the Theme (Create, Relate & Imagine)
  • 3 Worksheets for kids, 1 for each book in the Kit
  • 3 Video Guides for parents, 1 for each book in the Kit which was sent in mail. 
I really loved the concept and books picked for the theme. Medha enjoyed reading all the three books again and again everyday. 

The Books I received in the pack :






What we loved?

  • The theme and fabulous work put in picking right books for kids especially younger kids i.e. 1.5 - 3 years age group. 
  • Cards - This gives an idea to parents as how they can help their child understand the theme as a whole.
  • The vocabulary section on each card for each book - This section really helps children to learn new words and relate them to the things around.
  • I really appreciate the Suggestions for further reading on the theme. 
  • Medha loved Ribbon book a lot and she giggles whenever we open From Head to Toe book to imitate the actions of animals. :) 

What could have been better?

  • Worksheets they sent for each book are very small and it's very difficult for kids to work on especially younger ones. I personally suggest Worksheets as papers inserted in a laminated cover instead of investing more on the big size cards as I doubt any kid revisiting the sheet once they are done. So that money can be used in getting more beautiful books.
  • Some tips how to get kid's interest on each book would help more. 

Detailed review on each book follows in further posts and will be linked up here.

Pricing:

Quarterly subscription: Rs 2700 i.e. Rs 900 per month.

Annual Subscription: Rs 9900 i.e. Rs 825 per kit.

Shop: You can subscribe online here

Facebook: Little Readers Nook

Website: Little Readers Nook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly