Wednesday 2 April 2014

Farm Animals Theme - Day 1 - Thematic Learning

~Medha is 3 years 1 month old~

We have completed our first theme successfully. And this time as per Medha's love for animals, we chose FARM ANIMALS as our second theme. I mentioned its Farm Animals as all the animals can't be covered in 3-4 days hence we thought we split it up. 


Here is what we've been doing in this theme. Let us know what you think. We hope by providing these ideas or information, it will make your life easier and you can also do something similar for your kids!

Farming is important for our life. Farm animals produce many things for our life. In preschool farm animals theme children will learn how farm animals helps us. Who and how to take care farm animals. I mainly concentrating on following things : 
  • Names of farm animals
  • Sounds of farm animals
  • Food of farm animals
  • Homes of Farm Animals

Some of you may ask me, " Your daughter is already 3 years old, don't she know these yet?" - Yes, she knows some of these details already. But I wanted to talk about these as a theme - so we will talk about these things altogether. And also she will gain more confidence in what she knows by doing these theme based crafts and activities. Also when we do as per theme, kids get to hear lot of new words related to theme and their vocabulary gets improved. For example : tractor, barn, harvest etc.

Here is what we did?

I first started with the theme by asking few questions like "What is farm?" and "What are farm animals?". Medha didn't know what is farm. But she knew what are farm animals. For second question she immediately replied saying "Hen, Duck, Cow, Goat". 


To explain what a farm is - I doubted she may not understand fully if I explain it as an area of land used for growing crops and rearing animals. So I went ahead with simple explanation as " Farm is a place where animals live and work!! " 

I wish we would've done a field trip to Farm before this theme. But I am not seeing that we can do in near future. 

Animal Jigsaw Puzzles 

We have so many jigsaw puzzles at home. So I took out few puzzles on farm based animals. She loves the puzzles a lot. 



Color PIG

I didn't have any coloring pages on PIG at home readily hence I drew PIG on a paper and gave her to color.


Color CAT

Similar to PIG I drew CAT also on a paper and asked her to color. 


I think this is the first time she saw me drawing some pictures carefully with so much attention. :P She loved my drawing and said "Sooooperrr Amma , very nice" and then colored.



When it comes to crafts, I am really bad at it. I generally search for ideas in internet for her and make her doing them. But when it comes to farm animals, making animals with paper plates etc. is little difficult. So I decided to rely on worksheets and craft sheets available over net.

But as I don't have time to go out and get the prints, we did online only with some matching farm animals, picking odd one out in farm animals etc. from AllKidsNetwork.

Books

We read some nice books about each animal we have at home. 




Tomorrow I am planning to get some prints of the crafts related to farm theme and will sit together try doing it. Until then Happy Parenting!!

This is not a commercial blog. Each and every information in the blog is about what we did at home. I will be happy if you like our posts and get benifited with any of the information  - we are happy for that!! In any case, if you don't feel these are not appropriate and correct please leave us a comment with your suggestions. So I can improve things to teach Medha. 

2 comments:

  1. love the way she has colored the cat - so neatly! Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks alot Raji. If she is in good mood she colors nicely.. You can see PIG, she was not much interested. She said she liked my cat drawing but not pig, thats why she colored CAT nicely.. :P

      Delete

Printfriendly